- On 31 Jul 2021
- By Christiane Brosius
Curating the City
Workshop 2, July 31, 2021. Curating the City. Taught by Prof. Dr. Tarini Bedi and Sujan Chitrakar
This workshop presented in collaboration with Sujan Chitrakar, Artist and Curator from Kathmandu University and PI of this DAAD Initiative tackled the question of how artists, designers, and anthropologists can collaborate on curatorial work. Chitrakar elaborated on various challenges and formats of curating the city with a particular focus on public art events such as PhotoKathmandu 2015 in the Kathmandu Valley, particularly in response to post-earthquake setups.
Dr. Bedi’s presentation specifically focused on how to convert your ethnographic fieldwork into a curatorial project/exhibition, in the field of design anthropology and techniques to materialize the urban landscape.
- University of California Collaboratory on Ethnography and Design (CoLED) (http://coled.ucsd.edu/)
- Elizabeth Chin (2017). “On Multimodal Anthropologies from the Space of Design: Toward Participant Making.” American Anthropologist, 119 (3). 541–546
- Yoko Akama, Sarah Pink, Shanti Sumartojo (2018). Uncertainty and Possibility: New Approaches to Future Making in Design Anthropology. London: Bloomsbury Academic
- Luke Cantrella, Christine Hegel and George Marcus, Trade is Sublime Installation: http://productiveencounters.com/wp/trade-is-sublime/
- Eric Gordon & Paul Mihailidis eds. (2016). Civic Media: Technology, Design, Practice. MIT Press
- The Ethnographic Terminalia Collective http://ethnographicterminalia.org/